Who do I call?
For questions about all city services or to report a problem, you may call our main phone number, 630-454-2000. During normal business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday), our receptionist will answer your call and direct it to the appropriate department. To report a power outage, water main break, or other issue that requires urgent attention outside of normal business hours or on a holiday, you may call the Police Department non-emergency number at 630-454-2500.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call?
2. Who takes care of the trees in the parkway?
3. When is brush picked up by the city?
4. How does the snow removal process work? Are there parking restrictions?
5. When are fire hydrants flushed?
6. Does the city have watering restrictions?
7. Does the city require me to purchase vehicle stickers?
8. Am I required to license my pets?
9. How much does it cost for commercial electricity, water, and sewer services?
10. How much does it cost for residential electricity, water, and sewer services?
11. Can I pay my utility bill electronically?
12. Can I view my Utility Bill online?