2019 – 2023 STRATEGIC ACTION PLAN
Your city government at the City of Batavia performs many types of planning: comprehensive planning for the physical development of the city; financial planning to assure a sound financial footing; and emergency preparedness and response planning, to ensure the safety of our community in the event of a disaster. These are all examples of plans that the City of Batavia provides to guide its activities.
Strategic Planning serves a different purpose than other plans. It is a way to organize and prioritize our efforts so we can commit to the results that we seek to accomplish over the next five years.
Unlike comprehensive planning, strategic planning is not long-range; it is short to mid-term. It is designed to help the City Council and City Staff to make decisions and allocate resources to ensure that the identified goals can be efficiently and successfully accomplished.
What is in this Strategic Plan?
The strategic plan is a simple statement of how we see ourselves as a community and an organization, what we seek to accomplish, and what our key priorities are for the next three years.
How the Strategic plan was developed
The combined expertise of City Council and City Staff was used to engage in a more focused approach for the initial plan.
The following planning steps were identified and initiated:
- Review all relevant documents including the prior strategic plan
- Review the results of the Community Survey
- Conduct a thorough analysis of the current environment utilizing the S.W.O.T.(strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) method.
- At its inaugural meeting on May 14, 2018, the Council decided upon its Mission, Vision and Fundamental Values (image link at right) The in-depth S.W.O.T. analysis also took place at this meeting.
- At the following meeting on June 11, 2018 Council utilized the results of the S.W.O.T. analysis to identify the critical areas for goals.
- On July 9, Council and senior staff members collaborated to identify strategies to support the goals identified in the previous meeting.
- On September 8, 2018 City Council Approved the 2019 – 2023 Strategic Action Plan
The City initiated a community survey begun in April 2018 to provide insight into what residents felt were the most pressing needs of the community. More than 1,000 responses were received with residents responding that the following were the most important priorities: The outcomes below document the feedback of community residents about City of Batavia priorities.
Respondents were also asked to provide general comments as well. One of the top priorities identified in those comments from residents was the need for a second bridge.
Most Important Goal 2018
Enhance and revitalize downtown Batavia
Work with citizens and citizen groups to resolve important community issues
Improve traffic circulation
Provide cultural activities in the community
Provide information to citizens on the activities of City government
Encourage the construction of housing that is attainable for people at every stage of life (i.e. singles,