- Business & Development
- City Improvements
- Sidewalk and Street Improvements
- Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
Street resurfacing program 2023The street improvement project is presently in the bidding phase, with the construction work scheduled between June and October. It is anticipated contracts will be awarded in May, and a more detailed schedule will be provided once that happens. Read on...
Each year the City of Batavia performs maintenance to repair its sidewalks. These repairs ensure pedestrian safety as well as reduce liability for property owners and the city.
The timeline for those repairs begins in the fall. Residents and businesses are asked to report sidewalk issues by Oct. 31. City staff then reviews these requests to determine if they qualify for repair and if so, repairs are typically scheduled for the following construction season.
Sidewalk repairs and replacement are completed by the city at no additional cost to residents and/or businesses.
To be considered for repair, sidewalks must have one or more of the following conditions: (please refer to the images on the left).
- Walks must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between two sidewalk panels.
- The sidewalk panel is broken or separated into three or more pieces.
- 50 percent or more of the surface has deteriorated.
The city's engineering department manages the sidewalk repair program. To report a sidewalk you believe is in need of repair, and meets one of the above criteria, call 630-454-2750. A city staff member will evaluate that sidewalk to determine if it qualifies for repair.
For a complete list of sidewalk repairs planned for 2022, please see the attached PDF.
If you want to hire a private contractor to repair or replace your sidewalk, there are specific reimbursement guidelines. For guidelines, please see this Reimbursement Guideline PDF.
- Can I request a certain date for the replacement of the sidewalk in front of my house?
The contractor makes a natural progression through the city removing and replacing sidewalk. Since there are over a few hundred locations that need work each year, the City does not allow the contractor to schedule locations for certain dates.
- How long will it take to complete the work?
Although sidewalk replacement occurs throughout the construction season (April-November), work at any one location typically only takes a few weeks to complete.
- What are the steps involved to replace the sidewalk?
The progression of construction generally follows the steps below:
1. The sidewalk and curb identified for replacement are removed and barricades are placed in the construction area. If any portions of the adjacent driveway need to be removed for construction, they may also be removed at this time.
2. The contractor then installs wood forms, pours and “finishes” the new concrete.
3. Within a day or two, when the concrete has hardened, the forms are removed.
4. Asphalt repairs to the driveway and street are then completed.
5. Any disturbed parkway areas are then restored with topsoil and seed.
6. If any part of the work does not pass City inspection, the contractor must come back to correct the deficiency.