2018 Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
Current Status (April 10, 2018)
The apparent low bidder is Schroeder and Schroeder, Inc. The contract will be considered for approval by City Council on April 16th and if approved work is anticipated to begin in late April – early May. All residents whose driveway access will be affected should have or will receive a door hanger at least 48 hours prior to removal. All work should be completed by June 29th. At this time the City is no longer taking additional locations for the 2018 program. The deadline to have locations of sidewalk added for the 2019 program is October 31, 2018.
- Walks must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections (picture);
- Broken or separated into three or more pieces (picture);
- 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated (picture).
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DECORATIVE LANDSCAPING, SPRINKLER SYSTEMS AND BURIED ELECTRONIC FENCE EQUIPMENT MUST BE LOCATED AND CLEARLY MARKED BY THE HOMEOWNER. PROTECTION OF THESE ITEMS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER. THE CITY OF BATAVIA WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO UNMARKED SYSTEMS.
- Crews use a saw to cut the sidewalk to allow for clean removal and to prevent damage to adjacent sidewalk or driveway pavement.
- A second crew removes the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron.
- Another crew installs wood/metal framing to help form the concrete when it is poured.
- A fourth crew pours the concrete and puts the finishing touches on the surface of the concrete. A separate crew will replace the asphalt driveway apron if needed.
- Finally, the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron is backfilled with topsoil and seed by a landscaping crew.