2022 Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
For work concrete repairs associated with the Streets Resurfacing Program please see https://www.cityofbatavia.net/337/Street-Resurfacing-Program
Current Status Update (1/16/2022)
Each year the City of Batavia performs sidewalk maintenance to repair defects within the city sidewalk system. These repairs ensure pedestrian safety as well as reduce liability for the property owner and the city of Batavia.
The City of Batavia repairs and replaces sidewalks with no cost incurred by the residents and business.
The deadline to apply for the sidewalk improvement program is October 31 of the previous calendar year. Please call 630-454-2750, to report a sub-standard sidewalk. City staff will evaluate your sidewalk to see if it qualifies. One of the following conditions must exist:
- Walks must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections (JPG). If the height difference is more than a inch then the City will perform temporary repair to make the sidewalk safe for pedestrians. A permanent repair will follow after that.
- Broken or separated into three or more pieces (JPG)
- 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated (JPG)
In the case of asphalt driveway aprons, the City of Batavia will repair the affected driveway aprons. Asphalt driveways will have an approximately 2 foot wide patch around the damaged area. Brick driveways will have only the necessary bricks removed to complete the repairs and will be restored once the sidewalk has been replaced. Typically, concrete aprons do not require any patches. When driveway access is restricted, the overnight street parking restrictions in the area will be relaxed.
For more information about the Sidewalk Replacement Program, please download the list of frequently asked questions (PDF).
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DECORATIVE LANDSCAPING, SPRINKLER SYSTEMS AND BURIED ELECTRONIC FENCE EQUIPMENT MUST BE LOCATED AND CLEARLY MARKED BY THE HOMEOWNER. PROTECTION OF THESE ITEMS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER. THE CITY OF BATAVIA WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO UNMARKED SYSTEMS.
Sidewalk that meet the replacement criteria are marked with white paint. The pink paint is then used to denote sidewalk that is scheduled to be replaced in this year’s upcoming program. See below to learn more about the criteria for replacement and inspection requests.
Multiple construction crews perform work in the program. Below is a basic outline of how work is performed:
- Crews use a saw to cut the sidewalk to allow for clean removal and to prevent damage to the adjacent sidewalk or driveway pavement.
- A second crew removes the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron.
- Another crew installs wood/metal framing to help form the concrete when it is poured.
- A fourth crew pours the concrete and puts the finishing touches on the surface of the concrete. A separate crew will replace the asphalt driveway apron if needed.
- Finally, the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron is backfilled with topsoil and seed by a landscaping crew.
If a resident is interested in getting their sidewalk removed and replaced through their private contractors, then please read City’s Sidewalk Replacement Program Reimbursement Guidelines (PDF).
This project is funded through City’s Street Improvements-Non MFT fund.
New Sidewalk Plan
"New sidewalks" is described as "filling-in" gaps in public sidewalk and placing sidewalk where none currently exists. The City policy is described in the document below.
Residents can call the city at 630-454-2750 to take part in the Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program. To see locations, view the link for the Construction Season Map.