2019 Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
The 2019 project has been completed. The deadline to have locations of sidewalk added for the 2020 program is October 31,2019. Please call the City with any requests so the sidewalk may be inspected and added to the list for next year if it qualifies.
The 2019 project was put out to bid and has been awarded to Schroeder & Schroeder, Inc. Construction is scheduled to begn in April. It typically takes the contractor a few months to work their way through the City and the project is usually completed by June 15th .
The deadline to have locations of sidewalk added for the 2019 program has passed. The deadline to have locations of sidewalk added for the 2020 program is October 31,2019.
- Walks must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections (picture);
- Broken or separated into three or more pieces (picture);
- 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated (picture).
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DECORATIVE LANDSCAPING, SPRINKLER SYSTEMS AND BURIED ELECTRONIC FENCE EQUIPMENT MUST BE LOCATED AND CLEARLY MARKED BY THE HOMEOWNER. PROTECTION OF THESE ITEMS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER. THE CITY OF BATAVIA WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO UNMARKED SYSTEMS.
- Crews use a saw to cut the sidewalk to allow for clean removal and to prevent damage to adjacent sidewalk or driveway pavement.
- A second crew removes the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron.
- Another crew installs wood/metal framing to help form the concrete when it is poured.
- A fourth crew pours the concrete and puts the finishing touches on the surface of the concrete. A separate crew will replace the asphalt driveway apron if needed.
- Finally, the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron is backfilled with topsoil and seed by a landscaping crew.