The City of Batavia has one locally recognized Historic Landmark, the Campana Building, located at 901 North Batavia Avenue (Northwest corner of Batavia Avenue and Fabyan Parkway). Local Landmark Qualifications
The Historic Preservation Commission reviews requests to give a property landmark status. Contact the Community & Economic Development Department to discuss the application process. To qualify for local landmark status, a property must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Has significant value as part of the historic, heritage or cultural characteristics of the community, county, state, or nation;
- Is identified with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the development of the community, county, state, or nation;
- Is representative of the distinguishing characteristics of architecture inherently valuable for the study of period, type, method of construction or use of indigenous materials;
- Is a notable work of a master builder, designer, architect, or artist whose individual work has influenced the development of the community, county, state or nation;
- Has a unique location or singular physical characteristics that make it an established or familiar visual feature;
- Is a particularly fine or unique example of a utilitarian structure, including, but not limited to, farmhouses, gas stations, or other commercial structures, with a high level of integrity or architectural significance;
- Has yielded or may be likely to yield, information important in history or prehistory, or other areas of archeological significance;
- Embodies elements of design, detailing, materials, or craftsmanship that are of architectural significance;
- Embodies design elements that make it structurally or architecturally innovative;
- Is suitable for preservation or restoration;
- Is included in the Illinois or National Register of Historic Places, or the Illinois historic preservation agency's structures survey.
A preliminary determination as to whether a property, structure, or area meets one or more of the foregoing criteria shall be made within 45 days of filing of a nomination with the commission.