Municipal Retail Motor Fuel Tax Documents and Instructions
The City of Batavia enacted a municipal retail motor fuel tax (gasoline use tax) on retailers within the municipal borders on February 1, 2012. The tax was amended to $0.02 per gallon as of 2/1/16, to $0.03 cents as of 2/1/17, to $0.04 cents as of 1/1/18 and to $0.05 cents per gallon as of 1/1/19. The City of Batavia collects this tax directly from the retailer.
Effective January 1, 2019, the tax is $0.05 per gallon. There is a 1% Administrative discount for filing and paying the tax on time. There are additional discounts for those that file online or file and pay online. The discount is an additional 1/2% to file the return online and an additional 1/2% to pay the tax online. The discounts are offered to save City staff time in processing returns. The discounts are only available if the online system is used. This is the preferred method of payment and we encourage all taxpayers to file and pay online and save money in doing so. Thank you.
Please email Peggy Colby, Finance Director or call her at 630-454-2030 with any questions.
Local MFT Tax Returns and Payments may be filed and paid securely online through our partner at Xpress Bill Pay. The site is secure and will protect your information with the latest technology. Use the instructions for first-time users (PDF) to set up an account and then you can log into Xpress Bill Pay each month to file your return and make your payment. If you file and pay online, you will not need to mail anything to the City. For further information, please call the Finance Department at 630-454-2032.
Prior Ordinances and Forms
- Municipal Retail Motor Fuel Tax Return Form Effective 1-1-18 (PDF)
- Ordinance 17-65 Increase Motor Fuel Tax to 4 Cents Effective 1-1-18 (PDF)
- Municipal Retail Motor Fuel Tax Return Form Effective 2-1-17 (PDF)
- Ordinance 16-80 Increase Motor Fuel Tax to 3 Cents Effective 2-1-17 (PDF)
- Ordinance 15-57 Increase Motor Fuel Tax to 2 cents Effective 2-1-16 (PDF)
- Municipal Retail Motor Fuel Tax Return Form Effective 2-1-16 (PDF)
- Ordinance 11-47 Municipal Retail Motor Fuel Tax Effective 2-1-12 (PDF)