Kane County Offers Recycling for Electronics and Other Items
The program includes two daily drop-offs in the county, as well as one-day collection events in St. Charles. Information on the Batavia site is listed below. The first event of the 2021 season will be held on Saturday, April 10, for electronics, clothes, and books.
Cost for TVs and monitors
There will be a fee for TVs and computer monitors – both tube and flat screen - across the board for all drop-off locations and the event. You will find that there is a cost for these items nearly anywhere that processes electronics for recycling.
The fee is $25 for screens under 21" (measured diagonally) and $35 for screens 21" and over. All other acceptable electronic items can be dropped off for free. See the full list of items that can be recycled in the program here.
The fee may be paid online in advance or on site by exact cash or card. It is recommended that you pay online in advance if possible and bring your receipt to any drop-off or the collection event. You must have the receipt with you!
The fee that you pay for screened equipment goes directly to the County’s contracted electronics recycler, eWorks, a non-profit whose main mission is to employ developmentally disabled individuals.
Southern location – Batavia:
Located at 517 E. Fabyan Parkway in Batavia. Look for large trailer on north side of street just east of Route 25. Drop-off hours of operation will be Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. See instructions here. NOTE: Saturday hours will end on March 27. Please see below for information on one-day collection events, which will resume in April.
Utilizing the convenient daily drop-off locations is recommended if you wish to avoid waiting in line at a collection event. Not only is it more ecologically responsible to avoid idling for long periods but also spreading the volume of electronics between sites will help the County to maintain a professional level of service at the one-day collection events.
The drop-off locations are staffed full time to avoid the dumping issues, such as businesses taking advantage of the residential program and dumping large quantities of TVs, or residents dumping unacceptable and/or hazardous materials at the sites.
Security cameras, that detect motion, monitor the sites after hours and offenders will be fined. Illegally dumping a TV or any other material at the drop-off sites after hours is a Class A misdemeanor which has a maximum fine of $2,500, a jail sentence of up to 364 days, or both.
One-day Collection Events:
See the Kane County Recycles webpage for the current schedule and most current updates on the program. The first event of the 2021 season will be held on Saturday, April 10, for electronics, clothes, and books.
Questions: Kane County Recycling Coordinator, Jennifer Jarland, 630-208-3841, or email Jennifer Jarland
- Appliances: Only non-freon appliances only like washers, dryers, stoves, microwaves, hot water tanks for free drop off at recycling site. Call Advanced Disposal at 630-587-8282 to schedule pickup of appliances (1 sticker each).
- Books: Newer textbooks, kids books, and any books in good condition that can be reused, but will also take books of any age; hard or soft cover books; encyclopedias and other hardcover collectibles; and magazines (or recycle in your cart at home). Moldy/wet books and shredded paper cannot be accepted.
- Cable Receivers
- CD Players
- Cell Phones
- Christmas/holiday light strings
- Circuit Boards
- Clothing and textiles
- Coffee makers (excluding glass pots)
- Computers (CPUs, Laptops, Tablet PCs, computer batteries)
- Computer Drives
- Cords & Cables
- Digital Converter Boxes
- DVD Players & Recorders
- Dishwashers - free drop off at recycling site or call Advanced Disposal to schedule pick up (1 sticker)
- Docking Stations
- Dryers - free drop off at recycling site or call Advanced Disposal to schedule pickup (1 sticker)
- Fans (metal fans only)
- Fax Machines
- Hard Drives
- Holiday Light Strings
- Hot water heaters
- Monitors (fee applies)
- Ovens/Stoves - free drop off at recycling site or call Advanced Disposal to schedule pickup (1 sticker)
- PDA Organizers
- Portable Digital Music Players
- Power Supplies
- Satellite Receivers
- Scrap metal
- Small Scale Servers
- Speakers (no large wood speakers)
- Stoves/Ovens - free drop off at recycling site or call Advanced Disposal to schedule pickup (1 sticker)
- Televisions (fee applies)
- Vacuums (no cloth bags)
- Video Game Consoles
- Washing Machines - free drop off at recycling site or call Advanced Disposal to schedule pickup (1 sticker)
- Wires @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Kathy MontanariAdministrative Assistant
Public Properties and Services DivisionPhysical Address
200 N Raddant Road
Batavia, IL 60510
Hours M-F, 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
After hours, contact the Police Non-Emergency line at 630-454-2500.
- Toner cartridges, DVDs, video and audio cassettes
- Hazardous waste (Mercury-containing devices, thermostats, thermometers, smoke detectors, liquids and gases, fluorescent tubes, etc.): See the Household Hazardous Waste page for information on disposal of these items.
- Fluorescent Lights (tubes and compact fluorescent lights [CFLs]): CFLs can be disposed of at most hardware stores or through Household Hazardous Waste programs.
- Freon-containing appliances (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc.): Contact Advanced Disposal at 630-587-8282 to arrange for the disposal.
- Large stereo speakers (extra-large wooden-box speakers): Speakers are accepted, but not the box. Remove speakers from the wooden box, dispose of the wood, and bring the speaker only.
- Batteries (alkaline AA, AAA, C, D, 6V, 9V, NiCd): Drop off at Batavia Public Works facility, 200 N Raddant Road Monday-Friday 7 am - 4 pm (excluding holidays). Use office entrance on west side of building and deposit in bin inside vestibule. Hearing aid, watch, and car batteries are not accepted. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Curbside Electronics Recycling
Residents can recycle certain electronics at the curb for a fee. To view a list of accepted items and the number of stickers required, click here. Call Advanced Disposal at 630-587-8282 at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a pickup.