Businesses Open During Construction
Please remember that no businesses are closed due to the Houston Street Project. The Popcorn Depot, Open Range, Depot Museum, the Professional Building and all the businesses on Island Avenue are all easily accessible at all times, though you may find yourself waling just a bit further for a parking space. Please cross your fingers for continued good work weather.
Houston Street Update
Below is the work scheduled for the remainder of this week and the week of November 9:
- Abbey should be finished pouring all the concrete sidewalk and punch list items in preparation for final surface. They are also working on cleaning up the roadway.
- Rainmakers Irrigation has finished installing valve boxes in the planter islands and constructing the control cabinet. They are waiting on trees to be installed prior to installing the drip line to complete the system.
- Thorne Electric still has a few street light pole foundations to pour concrete for. They will be on site tomorrow to complete them. They are planning to return the week of November 16 to start pulling wire in the conduits. We are anticipating the street light poles to be received by the first part of December. At that point, Thorne will return to start installing them.
- Breezy Hill is nearly finished with installing brick pavers in the fountain plaza area and will move to other brick sidewalk sections at the intersections. They will be on site at least 2-3 weeks to complete all the brickwork. Breezy has also started landscape restoration and will continue with that as areas get completed.
- We anticipate clean up preparations for the final lift of asphalt to occur Monday, November 9. The final lift is being installed Tuesday, November 10, and striping will follow. We are planning to have the entire roadway and some of the sidewalks open by Friday, November 13, weather permitting.
Please note that there will be brickwork and street light work occurring beyond Friday, November 13, that will impact some parking stalls, require intermittent lane closures, and impact intersections when work is being done in those locations but this work will be isolated. Some sections of sidewalks will remain closed until the brickwork is completed and they will be opened as the brickwork is finished. The street lights and ornamental lighting will progress once they are received.
Art Stop Parking Lot Improvements
The Artstop Parking lot improvement was completed last week. It has been open to public use. Landscaping (topsoil and seed) was also completed. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mr. Rahat Bari, City Engineer, at 630-454-2760.
Greening Your Existing Home on a Budget
Jason La Fleur of Eco Achievers
Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:30 p.m.
Pal Joey’s Restaurant
31 N. River St., Batavia
What does it mean to green your home? Join us for a riveting overview of green renovation strategies for any budget, from simple interior modifications and DIY projects to more elaborate projects. We'll discuss key green criteria that should be included in any home improvement project if human health and conservation are important to you and your family.
The presentation will begin immediately following the Batavia Environmental Commission monthly meeting. The meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. and we encourage you to attend!
Please click on the link below for the Batavia Chamber of Commerce “Weekly Digest” highlighting the week’s events and any chamber news.http://conta.cc/1PsAEom